Thursday, May 24, 2012

The Top Five Reasons to Give Your Soundtrack Away for Free

I wrote an article about my experience giving away the soundtrack to my first indie feature film, The Graduates, for free. Though it launched on the uber-popular blog NoFilmSchool.com it was picked up pretty quickly by TribecaFilm.com, which is always an honor.

I loved sharing and distributing this particular film marketing idea, because it singlehandedly propelled my film to a new level of visibility, helping it become a cult hit. Take a look at the article, The Top Five Reasons to Give Your Soundtrack Away, here: TribecaFilm.com, and let me know what you think.
Fast forward three months to the summer of 2009. THE GRADUATES had been rejected by every distributor in the continental United States. We were getting rejection letters from distributors we hadn’t even submitted to. We got the message. I guess an award-winning indie comedy with stellar reviews, awards from prestigious festivals, an active and motivated team as a marketing partner and an active online following built-in was not enticing enough, I don’t know. But I’m not bitter. I’M NOT BITTER.

We knew the film had an audience, but we had no money to reach them. As we brainstormed, Cuban’s article kept resurfacing, haunting me. Eventually I pulled the trigger and put the soundtrack on our website. What followed was sort of an indie film miracle.

Continue reading The Top Five Reasons to Give Your Soundtrack Away, here: TribecaFilm.com





No comments: